This course provides students with an overview of group sports. Students learn about a variety of sports, and an in-depth study of soccer or basketball. Students learn not only the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, but practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about game strategy and the benefits of sports. In addition, students study elements of personal fitness, goal setting, sport safety, and sports nutrition. Students conduct a pre- and post-fitness assessment, as well as participate in weekly physical activity.
T1: Physical Activity
- Students will be able to participate regularly in physical activity.
- Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
- Students will know and understand specific skills and rules of some sports.
- Students will understand the 5 fitness components
- Students will understand the importance of safety during activity.
- Students will know and understand the benefits of exercise.
- Students will be able to evaluate and understand more about how their body works.
T3: Goal Setting
- Students will be able to set, self-assess, and evaluate health enhancing goals.
- Students will be able to evaluate, maintain, and improve physical fitness, motor skills, and knowledge about physical activity through fitness testing, activity labs, and assessments.
- Students will be able to find resources that will help them enhance their health.
- Students will be able to communicate with others about their activities, opinions, and experiences.