This course is a continuation of the learning that began in the first year that will help students improve their skills in the Chinese language. In this course, students will increase their skills by completing listening, speaking, reading and writing activities that are based on pedagogically proven methods of foreign language instruction. In the first semester, students will learn about describing new school year, living in a dormitory, dining in restaurant, shopping for clothes and choosing classes. In the second semester, the topics of study are describing boyfriends/girlfriends, talking about computer and internet, having part-time jobs, discussing about education and learning about Chinese geography. Through these topics students learn to express themselves using an ever-increasing vocabulary and increasingly complex grammatical sentence structures. Grammar is introduced and practiced in innovative and interesting ways with a variety of learning styles in mind. Culture is sprinkled throughout the course in an attempt to help the learner focus on the Chinese-speaking world and their culture, people, geographical locations and histories. The course is aligned to the national Foreign Language standards.
- Listening – Students will understand the main idea and supporting details of spoken language that incorporates familiar vocabulary and structures and respond appropriately.
- Reading – Students will understand selected written materials on various topics.
- Speaking – Students will apply knowledge of Chinese pronunciation and intonation patterns in various situations.
- Writing – Students will respond to statements or questions in Chinese; write compositions and conversations on selected topics, which incorporate description, detail and accurate grammatical structures.
- Culture – Students will explain how aspects of the Chinese-speaking culture differ from their own and discuss the influence of the Chinese-speaking culture in the global community.
This is an NCAA-Certified Class
eAchieve Academy is an official NCAA-approved online instruction provider and this online Chinese 2 class meets the NCAA core course requirements. To see the full list of NCAA-approved online high school courses offered by eAchieve Academy, visit the NCAA Eligibility Center (use school code #502388).
Using Chinese In Your Career
Chinese language skills are in-demand in many different industries, including healthcare, law enforcement, business, science and the law, to name a few. Whether you want to become a doctor, lawyer, FBI special agent or environmental scientist, speaking Chinese can be a huge advantage.