Film is one of our most prominent art forms. In many ways it is a reflection of our culture, as it is a primary means of entertainment and diversion for our society. The study of film has often centered on the visual aspects of the medium with little attention give to the important role that music plays. The purpose of this course will be to obtain an increased awareness of the many functions of film music and learn about its prominent role in the cinema. We will study the works of many prominent film composers as well as some of the lesser known ones. In addition, we will explore the elements of music, musical forms and style periods. Combining an increased knowledge about music with an understanding of the functions of the film score will enhance our awareness of the not-so-hidden dimension of film, its music.
- Students will be critical, creative and analytical in their exploration of film music.
- Students will construct their own meaning to musical style, as it relates to places, times and situations.
- Students will transfer mood and emotion to film music.
- Students will consider tambour as it relates to the scene.
- Students will develop an environment of open exchange of ideas that enhances the creative learning process.
- Students will be able to evaluate music during the film.
- Students will develop the skills of collaboration when discussing opinions and working on learning projects.
- Students will learn the value of contribution to the aesthetic and cultural life of the community.
- Students will use electronic media to enhance the learning experience.
- Students will master global and interpersonal skills necessary to be successful in an open forum.