Prerequisites Needed: None
Prerequisites For: None
Music Appreciation is a one semester course that will introduce students to the fundamentals of creating, enjoying and listening to music. Students will learn the basics of creating music– melody, harmony and rhythm. Students will also explore instrumental and vocal timbre and will critique musical performances.
Throughout the course, students will be exposed to many musical styles, including traditional, folk, jazz, opera, popular, and classical music. Through unique online software, students will be able to compose, arrange and share their own musical ideas. Students will finish the class with a better understanding of the complexity and art of music.
- Develop individual musical interests and skills which will allow participation in music making throughout life.
- Expand knowledge, awareness, and appreciation of different kinds of music to cultivate discriminating consumers.
- Nurture an enjoyment & understanding of music, enriching the quality of life.
- Develop critical thinking and analytical skills when discussing various elements of music.
- Explore their own musical voice through building a basic of understanding of musical structure.
- Understand relationships between music and other arts and disciplines.
- Understand music in relation to history and culture.