This course provides students with an overview of individual sports. Students learn about a variety of sports, yet do an in-depth study of running, walking, strength training, yoga, Pilates, dance, and cross- training. Students learn not only the history, rules, and guidelines of each sport, but practice specific skills related to each sport. Students also learn about the components of fitness, FIT principles, benefits of fitness, safety and technique, and good nutrition. Students conduct fitness assessments and participate weekly physical activity.
TARGET 1- Physical Activity
- Students will be able to participate regularly in physical activity
- Students will be able to plan exercises that will improve their health.
- Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
TARGET 2- Content
- Students will know and understand how science relates to physical fitness (Anatomy, Biomechanics, Linear and Rotary Motion, Static and Dynamic Balance)
- Students will understand the 5 fitness components
- Students will understand the importance of safety during activity.
- Students will know and understand the benefits of exercise.
- Students will know and understand how to calculate and implement target heart rate into their workouts.
- Students will be able to evaluate and understand more about how their body works.
TARGET 3- Goal Setting
- Students will be able to set, self-assess, and evaluate health enhancing goals.
- Students will be able to evaluate, maintain, and improve physical fitness, motor skills, and knowledge about physical activity through fitness testing, activity labs, and assessments.
TARGET 4- Community
- Students will be able to find resources that will help them enhance their health.
- Students will be able to utilizes skills to communicate effectively with family, peers, and others to enhance health and physical education.