Prerequisites Needed: None
Prerequisites For: None
This course takes a more in-depth look at the five components of physical fitness touched on in Fitness Fundamentals 1: muscular strength, endurance, cardiovascular health, flexibility, and body composition. This course allows students to discover new interests as they experiment with a variety of exercises in a non-competitive atmosphere. By targeting different areas of fitness, students increase their understanding of health habits and practices and improve their overall fitness level. Students take a pre- and post-fitness assessment. Throughout this course students also participate in a weekly fitness program involving elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility.
TARGET 1- Physical Activity
- Students will be able to participate regularly in physical activity.
- Students will be able to develop their own fitness program.
- Students will be able to achieve and maintain a health enhancing level of fitness.
TARGET 2- Content
- Students will understand and develop a strong understanding of the 5 Fitness Components
- Students will understand and demonstrate the importance of safety during activity.
- Students will know and understand how to calculate and implement target heart rate into their workouts and what happens to your heart rate during activities.
- Students will understand and demonstrate the FITT principles.
- Students will understand the importance of proper nutrition and caloric intake.
- Students will understand the benefits of physical fitness.
- Students will understand and demonstrate the importance of proper technique when exercising.
TARGET 3- Goal Setting
- Students will be able to set, self assess, and evaluate health enhancing goals.
- Students will be able to evaluate, maintain, and improve physical fitness, motor skills, and knowledge about physical activity through fitness testing, activity labs, and assessments.
TARGET 4- Community
- Students will be able to find and use resources that will help them enhance their health.
- Students will be able to communicate with others about their activities and health.