This course is designed to provide students with the basic skills and information needed to begin a personalized exercise program and maintain an active and healthy lifestyle. Students participate in pre- and post fitness assessments in which they measure and analyze their own levels of fitness based on the five components of physical fitness: muscular strength, endurance, cardiovascular fitness, flexibility, and body composition. In this course, students research the benefits of physical activity, as well as the techniques, principles, and guidelines of exercise to keep them safe and healthy. Throughout this course students participate in a weekly fitness program involving elements of cardio, strength, and flexibility.
TARGET 1- Physical Activity
- Students will be able to participate regularly in physical activity.
- Students will be able to achieve and maintain a health enhancing level of fitness.
TARGET 2- Content
- Students will understand and demonstrate the 5 Fitness Components
- Students will understand and demonstrate the importance of safety during activity.
- Students will know and understand how to calculate and implement target heart rate into their workouts and what happens to your heart rate during activities.
- Students will understand the FITT principles.
- Students will understand the importance of proper nutrition and caloric intake.
- Students will understand the effects of drugs on athletic activities.
- Students will understand the benefits of physical fitness.
- Students will understand the importance of proper technique when exercising.
TARGET 3- Goal Setting
- Students will be able to set, self assess, and evaluate health enhancing goals.
- Students will be able to evaluate, maintain, and improve physical fitness, motor skills, and knowledge about physical activity through fitness testing, activity labs, and assessments.
TARGET 4- Community
- Students will be able to find and use resources that will help them enhance their health.
- Students will be able to communicate with others about their activities and health.