Traits of successful online high, middle and elementary school students
Online school’s benefits can also be challenges
The greatest benefit of online learning can also be its greatest challenge. The flexibility of online high, middle and elementary schools lets you plan your education around your life. Although you can study at a time that works best for your lifestyle, it's important to progress at a pace allowing you to complete all your assignments within the semester.
Successful online students tend to exhibit similar traits. If you are interested in switching to online learning, you should:
- Be self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Have good reading and writing skills.
- Be willing to ask for help.
- Have strong time management skills.
- Be comfortable with technology.
- Be an active learner who participates in discussions.
While each student’s personality traits are an important factor in predicting success in an online program, there are several tried-and-true strategies you should employ:
- Develop a time-management strategy.
- Create your ideal study environment.
- Use the pace chart and a calendar to create a study plan each week.
- Log into each course daily.
- Check your school email a few times each day.
- Attend the weekly eSessions.
- Interact with the instructor and ask for help when needed.
- Connect with your classmates.
- Make the most of online discussions.
- Apply what you learn.
- Back up your work regularly on an external drive.
- And, most importantly, stay on pace!